Monday 19 October 2009

OUGD101 Alphabet Soup- Part One

For this brief we had to produce a series of 10 Letterforms that explore and communicate your interpretation of a word chosen from the randomiser. My word was Deconstruct: To break down into components/ to write about or analyse. I started by researching images that show deconstruction, the images were that of building sites, deconstructed materials and construction plans. From this I pursued a few ideas to see which one would communicate the word most effectively.

I started my designs by manipulating the font Abadi Condensed, i tried to Deconstruct the letterform in several ways to put the letter into context. I think it is a simple and effective way of expressing the word but i would like to develop the ideas furthur. The recent Visual Language sessions helped to start generating ideas.


I also liked the idea of deconstructing materials to make the letterforms. I used crumpled paper and placed it in the shape of the letterform A, I like the interesting shape it creates and how it adds texture yet i don't think it will express the word as effective as others ideas may.


I've always been interested in architecture, i liked how i could express the word deconstruct through constructional methods. I took a series of photographs of buildings in the city and tried to find the letterforms they create, from this i could use the filled shape.




Following on from the idea of building construction i started to look at building plans and liked the variations of shapes created by the rooms, I tried to find the letters in the plans this was done by Desconstructing the Constructions.


After creating the 10 Letterforms i decided to push it one step further and make them appear like Blueprints, to do this i scanned in my hand drawn letterforms onto Photoshop and edited the line and background colour.

 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment