Friday 27 May 2011

OUGD203

I started this project on a high from my success with the previous design for screen module which made me a lot more confident with my place on this course although I was quite worried with the collaboration element of the module as I don't always enjoy group work and previous colloborations havn't always worked well. Alice approached me to work with her for the YCN collaboration and I was delighted with this as I knew we both were interested in design for retail and work in similar ways. I knew that working with Alice would make me a stronger designer as we could learn from each others skills and it would definately be a passionately driven project. We were both very keen to gain experience from a retail brief and create a professional piece of work for our portfolio.


The YCN brief showed me how much work was possible to do in such a short space of time, by focussing our ideas and making strict choices right from the beginning it allowed us to design a full range and make the products with time left to document and present them professionally for the competition. Time management has always been a downfall of mine, working with Alice really helped to get me into a routine of blogging everyday. Writing lists and filling in timetables and action plans proved to be really beneficial and pushed my design work onwards.

I feel that not only have I produced professional work but I have enjoyed it and have felt very passionate about this area of design. Compared with the print project earlier on in the year I have definately improved so much as a designer and I feel that my enjoyment in selection briefs I am interested in has influenced me as a designer.

The web aspect of the module was really interesting, I have no background in this at all but was amazed to see how quickly I could put together a professional looking website. I have a lot more understanding of the importance of a good, easy to use website and also an appreciation of the coding side to web design. 


In the Product Range Distribution project I took the skills I had learnt from YCN and applied them to a new retail project, it was funny to see that me and Alice selected similar briefs for the second part of this module but have both created seperate projects from this. I decided to look at a new area of retail design, food retail which meant I have learnt a lot more about retail as a whole. Learning from my mistakes in previous projects I focused the brief from the beginning basing the project on an existing company improved the way that I work. 


This module has influenced my dissertation as I propose to look into the experience of shopping and how graphics influence the consumer. I feel that the practical side of the course will support this and after researching for my essays will hopefully strengthen the practical side too as I will have a greater understanding of this subject.

Attendance-5
Punctuality-5
Motivation-4
Commitment-4
Quality of work-4
Quantity of work-4

No comments:

Post a Comment